09 June 2010

The affection is infectious

One thing I like most about France is the freedom of showing your affection.
Much to my surprise when I went to reception to enquire about something small, and was greeted by the receptionist with a kiss on both cheeks.  I've only met her once.
This surprised, but didnt entirely shock.
What intrigued me is just exactly how run-of-the-mill this simple practice is.
Sitting on a bench, waiting for the train, I notice teenagers all around me, signalling the end of a day.
Two girls sit to my right. They look pretty standard, as teenagers come. Pony tails, skinny jeans, the statement t-shirt, big hoop earrings, makeup, chewing gum...  and they're either playing with their phones, or showing each other their latest nail-do.
As more and more people start to fill the train station, so do more and more teenagers, on their way into or out of town.
Many know each other, obviously go to the same school.
Most teenagers that pass, and recognise my two friends on the right, greet them each with the proverbial kiss on the cheek.
Girls and boys alike.
What looks like ordinarily shy, gawky teens - it comes as second nature to them and dont hesitate in offering a cheek.

I smile.

There's no pretense.  Just a simple way of life.

The French way o f life.  And its beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment