05 June 2010

Watching SA world cup, from afar

I should BE there, I keep thinking to myself.
I watch BBC news, and their FEATURE items are about South Africa. How bizarre it is to be watching news about my country, and about my history, but from an outsider looking in.
The stories are pitched in the same way that the sorrowful stories are pitched about the Holocaust, or about North Korea, or about American Slavery... and at once I feel almost hypocritical about feeling annoyed at the news of the past and the way it is presented by some news agencies.

I would like to see the giant Vuvuzela, and I would like to see the huge wheel at the waterfront.
I would like to have SA flag socks on my car mirrors, and I should be wearing the football jersey on fridays. I feel neglected at how the international arena is getting on-board with Football Fury, while I, a LOCAL to this phenomenon, sits and watches.
In my own way, I'll celebrate. And for now, I'll join the happiness of an amazing country. And I'll join the happiness of a great event. And I'll celebrate.
Albeit with a twinge of sadness.

Feel it, its there.

No comments:

Post a Comment