04 June 2010

Bravery never helped anyone... or did it.

So I thought I'd be perfectly ok, by deciding to drive myself from the Charles de Gaul airport, through the heart of Paris, around to Versailles, and down to Rambouillet - which is to be my home for the next month.

Picked up my flashy Goose-mobile (of course, it had to be a Peugeot.. I AM in France, dahling) from the lovely lady in green behind the desk... and armed with a map, and a steering wheel that was on the other side of the car... I made my way out of the airport, and onto the A1.

All was going according to plan, as I had one eye on the traffic, one eye on the map, and another on the roadsigns that passed.. (yes.. we all have more eyes than are actually visible). I seemed to be progressing beautifully, when I came to a roadsign that stopped me in my tracks rather abrubptly and informed me that the highway I was travelling on, was indeed, now closed.
"Cherchez le detour" it said.
Cherchez le blimming detour!?? This is ME you're talking to.

Plan B: follow the crowds like lambs to the slaughterhouse and hopefully they take you on the road MOST travelled, and to your destination.

Wrong again...

After my 4th u-turn in front of the same apartment block at L'Orangerie, I decided it was time to throw caution to the wind, and head up hill. Literally. This seemed to do it, because after about half an hour of driving, I started noticing familiar road signs, that corresponded to my map...

With as much relief as realising that you hadnt actually sent that nasty email you thought you had by mistake, I merrily made my way to Rambouillet.

Rambouillet is pretty much one thing. Continental Offices!
Forget about the roadsigns pointing me to my residence, if you get lost, you can be sure you'll end up at Continental.
That, for some strange reason, gave me some peace of mind.

After another half hour of driving around, and a lovely older couple offering to drive and have me follow them, I reached my destination. Albeit slightly survivor-esque, I was happy to be "home".

And this is where my nest will be for the next few weeks. Happy about the sunshine, and even happier at the sound of lazy doves sitting on the rooftops, singing their laments of English (and french) Summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment