04 June 2010

Pere Lachaise - and Edith Piaf


You can imagine my excitement at finding my way successfully to the greatest chanteuse of all time, Edith Piaf. Having been laid to rest at La Pere Lechaise cemetry in Paris, I searched many cobbled alleys, and dusty sepulchres to find her rather ordinary looking tombstone... with one single vase on top, 2 red roses and a huge EP carved into the vase.

Feeling almost as if I was standing on Holy Ground, I noticed a little inscription at the foot of the tombstone which read

dieu reunite ceux qui s'aiment
(God reunites those that love each other)

And my mind flashes back to her life story displayed in the move La Mome, where this song rings out just after she discovered that the love of her life, had been killed in an airplane crash.

I find a little bench to sit on and rest for a while, and spend some time with Edith.
I notice that her daughter of only 2 years old, Marcelle, is also buried here with her.

Edith taught me a lot about life. And I felt it necessary to pay due respect now at her final resting place.
Non, rien de rien. No, je ne regrette rien.

Merci, Edith.

No comments:

Post a Comment